Re: [CQ-Contest] Please DO SOMETHING!

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Please DO SOMETHING!
From: kd4d@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:11:10 +0000
Hi Martin:

I just finished operating a M/S for IARU.  Yes, we used the packet cluster.
BUT, I expect the top single operators to have more multipliers than we do.
And, I don't think they are using the cluster.

Why?  Because of the ten minute rule for Multi-Singles:
  4.2.1.   Must remain on a band and mode for at least 10 minutes before
changing bands or modes.

A single operator can make a quick band or mode change to pick up a
multiplier.  As a M/S, I cannot - if I make the change, I'm "stuck" for ten
minutes.

Let's see...we had 247 multipliers.  The top US/VE single operator (mixed)
on 3830 so far had 248!  He also "beat" us by almost 600,000 points.
Not being restricted to a band/mode for ten minutes, especially
if using two radios, is a HUGE advantage.  This is why the single operator
scores are so much higher than the M/S scores.

73,

Mark, KD4D
From: "Martin Monsalvo, LU5DX" <lu5dx@yahoo.com>