Re: [CQ-Contest] Low band antenna question

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Low band antenna question
From: "N7MAL" <N7MAL@CITLINK.NET>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:38:37 -0000
GAP Voyager is probably the worst antenna ever made. Several years ago a
friend of mine, who lived 2 miles from me, put one up. He wanted to make A/B
checks with me because I had full-sized antennas for 160. He called CQ and a
couple of guys came back to him. I kept waiting for him to respond but he
never heard them. We repeated this exercise several time over several days.
I even piped my rx audio into my 2 meter rig so he could hear the callers.
Now you lot and my lot are the same size. My antennas are the W2AU traps. I
have the W2AU trap system which is a tri-band antenna for 160/80/40. It fits
very nicely and performs very well. I may not work them first but I will
work whoever I hear. I also have an 80 meter delta loop fed with 600 ohm
wire line that also performs very well on 160 because the loop is open at
the bottom. I also have an HFV2 but it's not so hot on 160. It's a giant
killer on 80/40.
Hope that helps
73

MAL