Re: [CQ-Contest] Laptop and Contesting Software

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Laptop and Contesting Software
From: "Eric Hilding" <b38@hilding.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 05:18:50 -0700
Bob, KQ2M, inquired:

> I want to be able to key the radio through the laptop and use a voicekeyer
through the laptop, so please provide keying/voicekeyer suggestions and

> contest program suggestions as well.

By "use a voicekeyer through the laptop", do you really mean "use a contest
logging software program *as* a voicekeyer"?  If so, WriteLog will work and
give you 20 SSB message slots, as long as you don't try to also use 20 CW
message slots at the same time in a mixed-mode contest (unless this annoying
bug has been fixed).

To what degree do you plan to do "voicekeying"?  The more you want to go in
the direction of "almost" fully automated (or complete automation), to do it
correctly, IMHO more than 20 message slots are necessary.  Hmmm. reminds me.
it is time to pester the WriteLog folks again about implementing a very
simple program mod solution I've proposed twice which would provide for
U-N-L-I-M-I-T-E-D SSB message capabilities !!!

> One other thing.... I would prefer to have WIN XP as the laptop OS,
however, all laptops seem to have Vista as the OS.  Where can I find laptops

> with Win XP?

When Vista hit the streets, several computer mini-catalogs that started
showing up here had only Vista as the OS on notebooks & laptops.
Interestingly, not long after that, things changed to Vista *and* XP
options.  Perhaps enough people complained that they didn't want to touch
Vista with a 10 foot pole.  I bought another Dell notebook several months
ago with WinXP (a Latitude D630).  IMHO, DO NOT EVEN REMOTELY CONSIDER USING
VISTA!!!  Stick with WinXP.

> Am I right to be concerned with using Vista or are there some of you that
are successfully using Vista with your contest software?  Please advise.

I reiterate: IMHO, DO NOT EVEN REMOTELY CONSIDER USING VISTA!!!

FYI & 73.

Rick, K6VVA