Re: [CQ-Contest] Constructive feedback (was: why non-contestershate us)

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Constructive feedback (was: why non-contestershate us)
From: "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:54:05 -0500
During the CQWW DX Phone contest last weekend I got the dreaded "QSO before"
reply to one of my S&P calls. I never made it into their log. We have discussed
that situation many times on this reflector and it's pretty much "preaching to
the choir".

I took this mishap as an opportunity to turn it into an education opportunity.
The station was a European Contest Club so my presumption was it could be a
newer operator at the mic. He most likely didn't know the ramifications of
sending "QSO B4" and not logging a second contact.

I sent a private message to the QRZ.COM email address of the club telling them
about my experience. I received a very nice response thanking me for letting
them know about this. I was told, like most clubs their population is a mix of
seasoned contesters who are tutoring newer operators. They decided to forward
my message to their club reflector and reported very favorable discussions that
followed.

Mission accomplished.

If you are going to bring issues to the attention of other folks or clubs, you
need to take the high road. You don't want to start your message with the
classic Point / Counterpoint opening by Dan Aykroyd "Jane, you ignorant slut"!
You are certain to get the well known response, "Dan, you pompous ass"!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weekend_Update

Had I vocalized my situation on this reflector I doubt it would have influenced
ANYONE. Everyone here already knows to rework the station, log them, and move
on. There were no contest clubs in my area 45 years ago, so I made many
mistakes along the way. I still make mistakes, but my UBN reports help me
understand where I can improve.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

- - - - - - Original Thread - - - - - - - -