Re: [CQ-Contest] TS-440 vs. IC-765 for SS Phone

To: "Rick Mintz" <Rmintz@Rochester.rr.com>,"CQ-Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] TS-440 vs. IC-765 for SS Phone
From: "Chet Moore" <ChetMoore@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 20:56:56 -0500
Rick

Probably the most important thing I would want in SS  is computer logging
and to be able to click on spots using N1MM or any of the other computer
logging programs.  The TS-440 as it came out of the box has a computer
interface plug on the back BUT.............. you have to buy the 2 chips to
enable the handshaking between the 440 and the computer.  If the 440 has
those chips installed you are ready to go.

My understanding is that Kenwood no longer has the chips available.  That is
what i was told by the local kenwood dealer.  I ended up purchasing the kit
that provides everything needed by a private dealer.  I think it was $60.
It does require you to open the front panel and plug in the two chips.  Mine
worked like a champ.

I don't know if the 746 has a computer interface.  I used my TS-440 when
sailing merchant marine..  I had the mod in mine that allowed me to xmit on
2 - 30 mcs so it was a nice backup for my shipboard xmtrs and I also had the
500 kc cw filter.  There is an SSB filter which would really help on SSB in
a crowded band scenario such as SS SSB.  I used my 440S (AT) to make in
excess of 120 K on both modes and thought it was a terrific radio.  My next
radio was an MP-1000.  After putting those radios side by side its obvious
that the 440S has some limitations.

Perhaps some one else can fill you in on the Icom 765 and if it has a
computer interface, then you will be able to make a more accurate choice.

I would have to look in my check book to find out who it was that I
purchased my computer interface kit from.  They do have a web site but it
was over a year ago and i don't rember the company name.   They shipped
quickly but it still took 4 or 5 days to get the kit in the mail.

press on regardless

73

Chet  N4FX