[CQ-Contest] Computers and Logging Programs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Computers and Logging Programs
From: Tom Taormina <tom@k5rc.cc>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 09:47:19 -0800
After enduring the horrors of parallel port emulation in newer
computers over the last couple of years, I am finally abandoning
WriteLog for WinTest. The coup de gras was trying to get the DX
doubler and parallel-port keying working with WriteLog on a new
computer on the second station with Vista OS just before CQ WW CW.
Even the expansion board I installed in the computer would not
communicate under Vista. Using a MicroHam MK2R with Writelog and XP
on the main station computer, there were still continual issues with
the network crashing and erratic keying when the network was trying
to connect to the Vista computer with it's new "security" features. I
hope these problems are eliminated by WinTest and its serial-bus and
TCP/IP network-friendly software.

Tom Taormina, K5RC
Virginia City Nevada USA
NACHO - W7RN   RANN - K7RC