[CQ-Contest] How To Deal with Cheaters....

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] How To Deal with Cheaters....
From: "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:39:45 -0600
Dallas - W3PP said, in part:  "I don't have a dog in this fight,..."

Well I do have a dog in this fight. He's a Chihuahua and is pretty much down
and out of action in the opening seconds of competition...

This cheating discussion really is dancing around the basic human EMOTION of
"fairness". It takes a pretty big set of 'nads to publicly call another person
out for wrong-doing. For example, the woman in front of you at the store hands
the clerk $10 for an item and you see the teller giving back change for a
twenty. The "winner" begins to head for the door. What do you do? Grab the
store intercom and shout "Would the woman who just cheated this store out of
ten bucks return to the checkout lane for adjudication."?

Someone said "I could be wrong". Yes, it's the uncertainty of a situation that
keeps most people quiet. (Geez, maybe it WAS a twenty she gave the teller...)

Once you move into the emotional aspect, there's no telling what risk you
inherit. As an extreme example, the kid gets fired from McDonalds, looses his
girlfriend, and he goes on a shooting rampage. I haven't heard about any gun
play at hamfests, but when the accuser and accused eventually cross paths, the
adrenaline will certainly start to flow. Now you're in the territory of how
each individual will react to the situation and their emotional stake in the
competition.

Jeff - K1ZM / VY2ZM said he observed packet spot chasing. I probably missed it
in his message, but I didn't see how he determined whether the offender entered
the log as SO or SO(A). Even if SO was posted to 3830, this doesn't guarantee
the same classification sent to the contest sponsor. I'll admit I have made
this mistake myself... after seeing my posting on 3830 I discovered I submitted
the wrong class and needed to send an updated log to the contest robot. My
"corrected" entry never made it into the 3830 listings.

In any case, it's an interesting thread to be reading. As I said, my dog isn't
going to be a top ten contender, so my emotional commitment doesn't compare to
the top performers. But I believe real cheating should be revealed and lead to
a DQ. That's fair.

73 de Bob - K0RC in MN