Re: [CQ-Contest] Microsoft Virtual PC - multiple operating systems

To: cq-contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Microsoft Virtual PC - multiple operating systems
From: "hank k8dd" <k8dd@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:41:20 -0500
I've never understood the fascination with trying to run great logging
programs like
CT DOS, NA or TRLog under a Windows shell or Command Prompt.  It might kinda
work, but it's asking for problems.

If you can't do it yourself (and I understand that there are among us
those who do
not feel comfortable messing with partitions on hard drives) buy a 12
pack of Pepsi,
Coke or Heineken and invite the local geek in to shrink your Windows
partition a
bit - maybe a gig or two that you'll never miss - make a real DOS partition and
install your favorite DOS logging program.  And for the second 12
pack, have the
local geek print up a short paragraph on how to boot into the DOS area
to run the
logging program ..... in big print!

And, yes, it can be done on an NTFS drive.

73    Hank    K8DD

On Dec 13, 2007 9:06 AM, Gerry Hull <gerry@w1ve.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Actually, there is another free Virtual Machine from VMWare, called the
> VMWare Player,
> that fully supports talking to hardware, including USB, Serial and Parallel
> ports.
> It's the VMWare player, available here:
> http://www.vmware.com/download/player/
>
> I also suggest this web site: http://www.easyvmx.com/easyvmx.shtml
> It will allow you to configure a virtual machine according to your specs,
> then you download the files.
>
> I've used plenty of VMs for Ham radio software... great for everything
> except generating CW.
> There, you'll want to use a Winkey or something similar.
> 73, Gerry W1VE
>

> On Dec 12, 2007 1:48 PM, Dave Hachadorian <K6LL@arrl.net> wrote:
>
> > I just stumbled across a reference to Microsoft Virtual PC,
> > a free program from Microsoft that supposedly allows the use
> > of multiple operating systems on one PC.
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx
> >
> > Any thoughts on whether this would be suitable for running
> > DOS logging applications on an XP computer, or running
> > windows loggers under XP on a Vista computer?
> >
> > There's probably a catch, because the computer
> > wonk/contesters out there should have tipped us off to this
> > by now.
> >
> > Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
> > Yuma, AZ

'Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their
level then beat you with experience.'      -anon