Re: [CQ-Contest] Torture

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Torture
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 06:36:22 -0800 (PST)
I've never heard a JA and a DL on 160 at the same time.  Not
even from W8JI.
  Well, it was a DL was near, as I could tell, they were calling...   I
listened with the #2 receiver on the pile and set to 3KC wide, and the #1 at
300 cycles and fished for this magical dx station I supposedly qrm'd - up band,
down band, in the pile, on the edges, not to be found by me...  After roughly 5
minutes, I lost interest and moved on as the JA was gone by then...

  Interestingly, I did work the same JA 12 hours later....

  Now on my posting, you do not know me, but I do not post a 'hypothetical' as
something that actually happened... I do not exaggerate or make things up... If
I say I heard this or that, I did - or believe I did...
  John, I am in no position to dispute the operators of the JI superstation,
with my little pistol station...  And after nearly 50 years of hamming, I don't
have anything to prove so I don't even try... Your post did make me wonder if I
had misheard the JA, so I pulled up Geoclock just now and set it to that
time... It was sunrise in Europe and sunset in Northern Japan so I see nothing
to make me doubt what I heard...  To the best of my recollection, I heard the
JA best on the transmit array beaming Northeast - sometimes it happens that the
transmit array will hear better than the listening antennas...

  cheers -

denny / k8do