[CQ-Contest] Laptop and RFI

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Laptop and RFI
From: Barry <w2up3@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 21:10:55 +0000
Hi all,
Sorry, but this is not about cheating :.)

When setting up for the 10m contest, I discovered RF is getting into my
laptop/keying line when running power.  I'm using a Dell laptop with 2
USB to COM adapters - one for the radio and one for CW.  As I increase
power above 200W, the CW starts to slur, then goes solid keydown.  As I
lower the power it comes back without skipping a beat.  I tried
disconnecting everything going in and out of the laptop except the CW
serial port and no change.  I tried some ferrites on the cable and no
difference.  I've never had any RF problems before (but used a desktop
computer in the past), everything is well-grounded, and the antenna is
about 200 ft from the shack.  It's fine on all other bands running full
power.  Any ideas?
Tnx,
Barry W2UP

--

Barry Kutner, W2UP             Newtown, PA