Re: [CQ-Contest] A simplistic view of competition

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A simplistic view of competition
From: Charles Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 23:13:26 -0500

On 12/18/2007 Bill Turner wrote:
...snip...

> What happens to the folks who prefer demolition derby cars but find
> they are required to compete in a NASCAR event?

> Oh, wait... I know. Different classes! Whew. You had me worried there
> for a moment.

> 73, Bill W6WRT

Thing is, I think most people in the US think "Nascar" type - one class is run
at a time.  Most folks have nave looked at Road Racing, where 5-6 classes of
car will run on the course at one time

Which always gets me to thinking - "Gee, they also handicap those races, and
have an overall handicap race winner, where it's possible for a lower class car
to beat a higher class"

Just making up numbers here - but lets say the top M/M score has averaged 5.54
times as many points as the top SOAB station for the last 5 years.  The
handicapped class would take your  SOAB station, multiply it's score by 5.54,
and we compare to the top M/M station this year.  See who has a higher
handicapped score...

Might be interesting

For that matter, except for the fact that  it's too easy to change a station,
and too hard to do a technical inspection - it might be interesting to do what
they do in sailboats.  You come in with a handicap level of X, based upon the
"expected" for your station.  You do better, your handicap goes down, you do
worse, it goes up - heck, they do it in golf too.  You've got your scratch
score vs your handicapped score - it's how you get to have things like pro-ams.

Heck, they do it in bowing too - what was interesting in the league I bowled in
MANY years ago - you're handicap was 200 - your average * .8 - why the .8?  The
only gave you 80% of your difference, so that most nights, the better bowler
will still win - give you incentive to improve - but if you were a 150 average
bowler, you could still beat the 190 average bowler, if you had a good night,
or he had a bad night (Back then, before all the new balls 145 was the average
average, nationwide)

--
73 de KG2V

For the Children - RKBA!

Haben Sie sehr viel Furcht, denn ich bin mit Gewehr gut.