[CQ-Contest] Limited antenna categories (was SO2R)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Limited antenna categories (was SO2R)
From: Paul Young <youngp@hp.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 15:37:58 -0500
I think creating antenna-limited categories is a bad idea.

 > The real equalizer, or entry level station, is no antennas above
? 50 (or 30 feet) and no antenna with more than 1/2 wave of total
 > elements.  That is an antenna system that almost anyone - even
 > someone in a HOA controlled community or just getting started in
 > amateur radio - can have.

No, this does not equalize stations - nowhere close.  And it shows
some of the big problems with creating this sort of category.

The antenna system described is actually very complex.  The
requirement that no antenna can be over 1/2 wave long means that
you can't just put up a G5RV and enter this category.  It will
be too long on the high bands.  You'll need a half-wave antenna
for each band.  And verticals are out unless they do not need radials.

I'm certain you could rewrite the rules to fix these particular
objections but whatever you come up with will have more holes.
Eventually you'll have a ten page document and it will still
have holes.

And you won't have an equalizer.  A 15 meter dipole at 30' at,
say, K1KI's station would have considerable height gain and would
be a fairly effective antenna.  A 30' tall vertical at W1KM's
QTH would be able to run Europe on 80.  An HOA limited staion
would only win if nobody else shows up.

 > Rather than argue about the tools and techniques a particular
 > operator uses to improve his score/results, contest sponsors
 > should be encouraged to provide the 'basic' entry class for those
 > just starting or otherwise restricted in their resources (or
 > options).  Once an operator moves past that basic level, let
 > him decide what will provide the best bang for the buck in his
 > own situation but don't limit the choices because of personal
 > prejudice.

Why should a sponsor create such a category?  Who would seriously
enter it?  Would people build up (or down) their stations so that
they would do as well as possible in the category?  As far as I
can tell even the existing tribander plus wires categories just
get stations which happen to fall within their limits - nobody
goes out of their way to not have a shorty-forty so that they can
stay in a limited category.

Most importantly, would more people make more QSOs in the contest
because this category existed?  Creating a category isn't free
for the sponsors, it adds to their workload.  Most contests are
handled by volunteers.  Is this worth their spending more time on,
and if not, what should they remove?

 > 73,
 >
 >    ... Joe, W4TV

                                  Paul, K1XM