Re: [CQ-Contest] Prefixes in WPX

Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Prefixes in WPX
From: John Laney <k4bai@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 15:24:46 -0500
Don:  I've always understood that the requirement of Canadian stations
in the US and US stations in Canada to sign the portable designator at
the end of the call was because it was required in a treaty between the
two countries.  This was one of the first reciprocal treaties.  It was
before anyone considered signing the country prefix first in temporary
operations in another country.  It could probably be agreed differently
today, but changing treaties between countries isn't easy and there is
no big constituency of people demanding it on either side of the border.
  Even if all ham radio operators on both sides wanted it, we are still
a very small contituency.

I am aware of hams who have violated the treaty, if that is indeed where
this rule comes from, but I wouldn't do so myself.

73,

John, K4BAI.