Re: [CQ-Contest] HF Transceiver Carry-On

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] HF Transceiver Carry-On
From: "Eric Hilding" <b38@hilding.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 22:43:10 -0800
Scott, K9MA, inquired:

>Does anyone have recent experience boarding a plane from the US with
>a small HF transceiver in carry-on luggage?

I made two trips to Alaska last fall, with one side jaunt to Spokane and my
old stomping grounds in Eastern Washington.  My TS-480 and an MFJ Mighty
Lite power supply were inside a well foam padded SKB hardshell case which I
carried on in addition to my notebook computer case also filled with cables
and connectors inside plastic Hefty Zip-Lock type clear (labeled) bags.
Inside the SKB case was a copy of my Passport, Driver's License, Ham License
and text that indicated "Contents Include Amateur Radio Equipment" in BOLD
RED print.  I also had a copy of the TS-480 Manual inside a manila file
folder which was inside of a large Hefty/Zip-Lock type clear plastic bag.

At EACH airport  carry-on luggage screening point, on EVERY flight leg, I
was singled out of the line and asked to open the SKB case (which had TSA
approved locks on it, but apparently too much effort for the screeners to
take out their TSA key and open it).  In EACH situation, the screeners took
a "swab" with some secret TSA sauce on it, rubbed it thoroughly over the
components, and a whiz bang machine nearby checked the swab for any nasties.

On the return trips home (didn't have to worry about it showing up DOA at
the original operating destination), I checked the case to avoid the
screening line hassles and found little TSA Love Letters inside when opened
indicating they had inspected the contents.  The TS-480 survived, but on the
last trip, my I had also checked my ALS-600S amp used in the ARRL SS at KL8C
(which worked fine when I left Alaska).  It was in a well-padded Pelican
1650 case.  Just before I was planning to head for FJ land, I decided I had
better take the amp out and check it.  The power supply wouldn't work, and
it is now  Ameritron for repairs.  If Ameritron says the problem was most
likely related to being dropped, I will go back to the airlines for
reimbursement (they paid for other luggage related damages incurred during
my September trip).

IMHO, be prepared for a thorough shakedown, and  be pleasantly surprised if
you just sail through the screening line(s).

73.

Rick, K6VVA