Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer

To: "'Bill Tippett'" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 08:52:28 -0800
I love these debates... I remember them for automatic keying equipment,
computer logging, octopuses, SO2R, etc.

It costs a bunch to be competitive these days.  SO2R is almost essential.
That's really rough on people who want to do contesting on a reasonable
budget.

I remember talking to a rabid home brewer.  Wouldn't touch anything
commercially manufactured.  Very haughty about it.  I asked him if he was
making resistors out of the clay in his back yard and how hard did he have
to suck to make a vacuum tube...

Time and technology march on.  It's never again going to be "what it used to
be". That's why they have straight key night.

So some computer assistance (keying, logging, microcontrollers that define
the radio) are OK, but this one should be prohibited?  Hmmmm...

Kinda cool technology, regardless of what you think the rules ought to be...

73 de Dick, K6KR