Re: [CQ-Contest] Quads and SO2R

To: "CQcontest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Quads and SO2R
From: "Leigh S. Jones, KR6X" <kr6x@kr6x.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:35:06 -0800
I participated in a phone multi-multi operation in my youth using
a triband quad with separate feedlines.  Rather than proper filters,
we were using coaxial stubs. There was also a very nice looking
army surplus low pass filter with a cut-off frequency of about 21
MHz for 20 M.  Sadly, 20 M still got a lot of garbage from the
other two bands, and 15 M had a little bit of trouble from 10 M.
The feedlines were equipped with baluns -- air wound trifilar 1:1
baluns as I recall -- and though they were dressed down the
boom together, after going through the turning loop at the bottom
of the mast they fanned out to reduce coupling.