Re: [CQ-Contest] Compact rigs for contesting and portable operation?

To: "John Geiger" <n5ten@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Compact rigs for contesting and portable operation?
From: "Andrei Stchislenok" <asnp3d@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 23:07:28 -0500
I am using Kenwood TS-570DG for the last 4 years. I am tajing it to all my
DXpeditions and also use it as a second Radio at home. Good plus is that
TS-570DG has a fast and reliable tuner. I installed there 250 CW filter, it
helps as well. This radio a little bit bigger than all mentioned before, but
I am fine with it, taking it as carry on, no problems.
Before I bought Kenwood, I had ICOM-706 and FT-100D. Good radios, but I sold
them and now happy with TS-570DG.

2008/2/13, John Geiger <n5ten@yahoo.com>:

> Another good mini mobile HF/VHF/UHF on the used market
> is the Yaesu FT100D.  I have used one for my main base
> rig (and for roving/mobile operations) off and on for
> the last 5 1/2 years, and find that it has a better
> receiver than the 857/897/706 series.  In the D model,
> you get the CW filter and TCXO standard, and should be
> able to find one for $550 or so.
>
> 73s John AA5JG
>
> --- W4ZW <w4zw@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > > FT857 - Reasonable current efficiency, small size.
> >  Usable for contesting
> > > (RX performance, menus,...)?
> > > IC706 - Tried and proven.  Getting outdated?
> >
> > I can comment on these two since I have both. I will
> > add another very good
> > compact radio, the Kenwood TS-50.  I have all three.
> >  The Kenwood is an
> > older model and available in the used market for a
> > bargain price, but it is
> > a very well built radio.  More ruggedly built than
> > either the Yaesu or the
> > Icom.  I very much like the FT-857D,  very small
> > size, many functions
> > including VHF, and works very well with the ATAS-120
> > antenna system.   But
> > if rugged is what you need, then the aluminum framed
> > TS-50 is the winner.
> > Very good receiver and available for a fraction of
> > the kilobuck new cost.
> > You might even find a AT-50 automatic antenna tuner.
> >  I have one and it
> > works well.
> >
> > All of these are good choices.  The IC-7000 is
> > really great but a bit
> > expensive.
> >

> > Jon Hamlet, W4ZW
> >
> > Casey Key Island, Florida
> > "A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"

> > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> > Release Date: 2/11/2008
> > 5:28 PM

73's Andrei