Re: [CQ-Contest] "Kilo" or "Kilowatt"

To: "CQ Contest List" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] "Kilo" or "Kilowatt"
From: "Bob Davis" <bob@reconstructinghistory.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:35:22 -0500
I've been following this thread for a bit now, and think lots of good points
have been raised.

Yes, the currently-accepted International phonetics aren't the best. They
are, however, internationally accepted for aviation traffic, as well as NATO
military use.  They work, most of the time.  I find "kilowatt" and other
non-standard phonetics rather excruciating, but that's probably due to my
military communications background.  But hey, it's not a big deal.  Besides,
I was brought up on NATO phonetics - which were adopted after many active
radio amateurs were licensed - so who am I to kvetch when someone uses the
older, WWII/Korea-era phonetics?  I do tend to draw the line at "cute"
phonetics, saving them for goofy chats on 2m FM during my morning commute.
I have a repertiore of non-standard phonetics for when the standards just
aren't getting through, though (see below).

Dispronouncification can be corrected by consciously speaking the phonetic
in an exaggerated fashion. Often, barking or mush-mouthing phonetics kile
Kilo - and I mean no disrespect to you, Steve; it's just the salient
example - can lead to miscopy, especially under adverse atmospheric and/or
interference conditions.  I find it best to really exaggerate Kilo and
Tango - I remember hearing TM6M in the recent contests; that method of
pronounciation really works for me (if you can remember it).  Drawing out
the O, in other words. TANG-ooohhh.

Cheers,

Bob Norway Quiver Tree Xylophone (joking!)

http://www.freewebs.com/nq3x

Random Thought: The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone,
somewhere, said to himself, 'I want to set those people over there on fire,
but I don't feel like walking over there to do it.'