[CQ-Contest] "Reverse Beacon" Test using CW Skimmer

To: "CQ-Contest@contesting. com" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] "Reverse Beacon" Test using CW Skimmer
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 08:27:22 -0500
I have an 20M Softrock Lite listening on ~14000-14090 KHz with a beta CW
Skimmer program by VE3NEA that has Telnet capability.  Until further
notice, I plan to have it listening continuously, though there may be down
periods.  If you wish to see if you are being received at my QTH near
Washington, DC, connect to 24.126.38.27:7300 with your DX cluster client
(any logging program should work), using your callsign to sign in.  Then
transmit your callsign at least twice somewhere in between 14000 and 14090
(but please avoid 14042-46, because that's where the SoftRock local
oscillator is).  The best way to be "noticed" by Skimmer is to send your
callsign several times, along with a CQ or QRL?.  If Skimmer "hears" you,
it will send a DX spot out via Telnet, so you can see you got
through.  Fading can prevent copy, so if it doesn't work the first time
please try again.  My stack of tribanders will be pointed toward Europe
most of the time, but I should be able to hear most US stations as well.

If you want to see what Skimmer is hearing in general, send a SH/DX to
Skimmer, and it will return all calls on its call-list, and their
frequencies.

This is an informal test of the reverse beacon idea.  It is likely, based
on CPU loading considerations, that a real reverse beacon capability
worldwide will depend on development of a web server capable of handling
multiple simultaneous user requests, but this is a first proof of
concept.  Your help and any comments would be greatly appreciated.

73, Pete N4ZR