Re: [CQ-Contest] arrl dx ssb spotting report

To: <somata90924@mypacks.net>, i4ufh <i4ufh@libero.it>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] arrl dx ssb spotting report
From: Dale Putnam <daleputnam@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 06:10:51 -0700
I really get an informative bit from Dave's analisis, and the information that
can be gleaned from it. With all that information I am better armed for the
next contest. Anticipation, of the contest, of the contact, then of the higher
score... improving each time, each report, each analysis.
  And yes, it is a very sad thing that the society today has become so centered
on winning... but then that is exactly where I am... I want to win too.
  But...... wait.... there may be a tiny difference. First paragraph above, is
done.... very focused, AFTER each contest. During the contest, this station
doesn't connect to packet or any outside assistance via any mode. What is
learned on the air, during the contest is learned, what is done before the
contest... as in research as to solar conditions, is done before... using the
best available method. But when the contest starts, then the focus is on
getting higher scores.... by, for and improving me. Not the technology of
gathering information from other sources than the radio of the contest.
  You see, for me... the focus is on improving me, my score, and being a better
operator.
  Having the ability to say, I didn't make that Q, because this widget or that
connection of information flow, or some such item broke... is not in my
interest. Having the ability to say that I didn't make that Q, because I didn't
read the flux numbers accurately enough, or that I missed his call because I
simply didn't pay attention because I was listening to the other radio... that
all is correctable, fixable, and improves me. Improvements to the station are
such that they are. Better antenna this year. Marked in log. Compared with all
the other considerations, after a season.... if it makes it that long..
determines if it is a keeper.
  However, the improvement of learning how to do something other than operate
my radio station better each time... like spoofing ip addys and fooling the
rest.... simply doesn't do anything, the "win" at that point if of absolutely
no use. You see, those that know, and would have some worth to have them
appreciate and applaude those "good scores" is worthless if the score was not
obtained honest and above reproach, was made with every eye watching every
move, and none... no... NONE seeing any wrong. And I know which way it is.
 Guess I am pretty much talking ethics. Preaching to the choir.
  See you in the next test.... without packet, livescores, or assistance,
because I CHOOSE
to be - single op, unassisted.--... ...--Dale - WC7S in Wy> Date: Fri, 7 Mar
2008 19:58:58 -0600> From: somata90924@mypacks.net> To: i4ufh@libero.it;
cq-contest@contesting.com> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] arrl dx ssb spotting
report> > I think all this spotting stuff with fake calls and such are a
representative of the degeneration of society that has spread to ham radio, it
is very, very, VERY sad. Come on guys, lets go with the original intent of the
hobby.> > ZF2AH> >