Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer for Propagation Analysis

To: k1ttt@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer for Propagation Analysis
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 11:27:37 -0700
Yes, I do that of course, although it is pretty obvious that a lot of
stations are calling DX they can't hear either.

That wasn't my point, though.  I wouldn't care whether the station was
CQ'ing or not.  I'd only care about the grid square they gave as a
report.  Skimmer looks for a "CQ" or" QRZ" because it is designed to
populate a bandmap of stations that would actually be there for more
than one QSO, but Skimmer already captures both ends of the contact.  It
just filters out the ones without a "CQ" or "QRZ" or similar phrase
before it adds a callsign to the bandmap (local or global).  My thought
was that Skimmer could be written to capture the grid square of ALL of
the stations it heard if that were part of the report.  If Skimmer
running at my station knows my grid square as well as those of the ones
it hears from my station, whether they are calling CQ or not, it could
capture propagation information from my QTH.  If it did that for
everyone running Skimmer and the results were telneted to a central
server for aggregation and processing, you'd get a global view of
propagation, both instantaneous and over time.

So to address your comment, if the contest exchange included grid square
information and everyone used Skimmer (at least for propagation
information), those folks who were calling DX that I couldn't hear would
be telneting that reception report to the global propagation map because
Skimmer running at their station would (presumably) be hearing the DX
station's grid square.

Skimmer could populate a global callsign bandmap for cluster-type users,
and a separate global propagation map without callsigns for those so
inclined.  Aside from buying the program, I'd personally be willing to
pay a reasonable subscription fee to support a server that provided real
time (and time-lapse) propagation maps based upon actual receptions if
it was populated by enough inputs to make it worthwhile.

73,
Dave   AB7E