Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer off air

To: n4zr@contesting.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer off air
From: K1AR@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:18:38 EDT

Dear Hams (note: HaMs, not HaNs),

Please be advised that, in light of this unfortunate news, you will be
required to tune the bands on your own for the next 12 hours. Of course, packet

spotting will still be available. We apologize for this inconvenience,
particularly as the TX5C DXpedition is underway. Hopefully, you will be able to
 find
the Clipperton group's transmit frequencies without too much trouble.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with finding DX on your own, I  recommend
the tried and tested method of slowing tuning your radio's VFO  (that's the
big knob) and listening to the beeps coming through your headset.  These beeps
are often a good indicator of the callsign and location for a given  DX
station and have proven to be invaluable in years past to locating new
stations to
work.

Good luck!

73 John, K1AR

PS: Pete, thanks for your support. Your efforts are giving all of us a
chance to evaluate the technology while we simultaneously  determine how to
implement it in contest rules and practice.

In a message dated 3/11/2008 9:39:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,