Re: [CQ-Contest] "Tune for maximum fun"

To: art.boyars@verizon.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] "Tune for maximum fun"
From: PaulKB8N@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:47:26 EDT
Same story, I was about 12, had a BC-696 with a humongous power supply
sitting on the edge of my desk.  (I used a little neon bulb to tune for max
power
out, btw.) One day, with power on, I was moving some gear on the desk  and
managed to nudge the power supply enough that it started to fall off the  edge
of
the desk.  I reached over and put my hand underneath it to catch  it.  Bad
idea!  Of course, the logical thing to do was to try to grab  it with the other
hand to help balance it.  Now I had B+ in one hand  and ground on the other!
The shock was so powerful that I quickly let  go and watched my power supply
fall to the carpet with a loud  thump!

Amazingly, the steel chassis didn't get damaged at all, the 5U4 rectifier
popped out of its socket and landed safely on the carpet, and a surprised young

ham learned an early lesson about safety.

Paul, K5AF

In a message dated 3/18/2008 9:33:00 A.M. Central Daylight Time,