Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting using remote stations

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting using remote stations
From: "Gerry Hull" <gerry@w1ve.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:47:02 -0400
Hi Joe,

I appreciate your very thoughtful response.   I can see where your worry
comes from.  I just think it is misplaced.
In the ham radio world, I guess I'm a relatively young pup -- I've been a
ham for only 33 years now.   In my time, I've seen
a lot of technology come and go.   What I believe is this:   Without forward
progress, I will virtually guarantee that our hobby will cease to exist.
We will loose spectrum and become irrelevant.     As the current ham
population dies off, we need new and innovative ways to bring new members
into the hobby, and to the contesting community.

Where we (and lots of others) probably differ is in what the definition of
"forward progress" is.

Remote operation is a means to an end:  Someone wishes to provide RF
communications from a point on the earth where they cannot possibly be
physically.   Is the RF diminished because it happens to be connected
remotely by a non-rf path?   Are the people involved more interested in the
tcp/ip transport links rather than the radio experience?    If you get a
thrill by sending your audio around the world on the Internet, why in the
heck would you connect a radio at the other end and deal with qrm/qrn, etc?

Are ham-radio "emulators" a band thing??   Not in my opinion.   Do you
remember DoctorDX on the Commodor64 back in the 80s?   That was CQWW inside
a computer!  And it was a blast to play contest when we were at the bottom
of a cycle.  However, it was CW only -- so was only accessible to a people
who were already hams.   Currently, www.hamsphere.com is an online
experiment -- an interesting technical test project that "simulates" RF QSOs
over an Internet connection.   I've told the author that I believe that if
this project was enhanced, it could be a very interesting learning tool.
Would it not be great for people to experience the concept of ham radio (and
perhaps radio contesting) without having to get a license?   They would get
bored with an online service very quickly (a la "Second Life"), but it just
might spark an interest in ham radio, the real hobby.

I want Microham to be in the market 10, 20 and 30 years from now.   The
products are great ... and if you have remote support in the pipeline, even
for the distant future, I do believe you and your team have the right
vision.

The only level-playing-field option I would like to have in contesting and
DXing is the ability for many more of us to experience the other side of the
pileup.. without having to travel to to remote location.   Is that such a
bad thing?

73,

Gerry, W1VE
Ex/Also: VE1RM, VO1WIN, CY0SAB, CY9SPI, /KH6, /VP2M, 6Y6C
www.getscores.org
w1ve@getscores.org