Re: [CQ-Contest] Move WPX Back to 30 Hours?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Move WPX Back to 30 Hours?
From: Trey Garlough <trey@kkn.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 07:59:28 -0700
Randy has summarized the situation very well.

I think the 30-hour SOAB WPX format was very good, and I still think
that the new 36-hour format is a mistake.  I would love to see the
contest go back to the 30-hour format -- it was the quintessential
world wide contest for "medium guns."

Anyone who has been in the contesting game for a long time will
recognize the following fact: The best ops with the best stations in
the best locations tend to win contests.  There is not much mystery to
this aspect of contesting.

o The beauty of the 30-hour format is that it gives the best ops with
  the best stations in the best locations less time to assert these
  advantages over everyone else.  This makes the race closer and more
  exciting.

o Because the big guns spend fewer hours on the air, the bands are less
  congested and this gives the medium guns more space to establish
  themselves.

o Having to pick what you think your best 30 hours will be introduces an
  interesting aspect of strategy that is not present in most contests.

o It's ok for contests to be different.  There are plenty of 48-hour
  contests available for guys who feel limited by the 30-hour format.

Not sure what else to say.  This horse was beaten dead 10 years ago --
would love to see it come back to life!

--Trey, N5KO/HC8N