[CQ-Contest] Skimmers and Rules

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Skimmers and Rules
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 06:51:01 -0400
The big problem I can see for contest sponsors is that the statistical
methods recently explained here, by which packet cheaters can be
identified, will not work with Skimmer.  A log produced using SO2R and a
Skimmer will look just like one produced by SO2R and a very good operator
without Skimmer, so long as the Skimmer operator does not take such great
advantage of what Skimmer can do for him that the gap becomes blatantly
obvious.

If you want to outlaw Skimmer use by single-ops, then it seems to me that
you'll be forced to rely on a declaration by the operator -- "wide-band
multi-stream CW decoder technology was not used during this operation."

Maybe we should be talking about an entirely new class structure for
single-ops -- something like "Advanced" and "Traditional".  Or maybe three
levels - "Traditional", "Advanced" and "Unlimited".  Traditional would
exclude Skimmer technology, Advanced would allow it but require a
declaration that a single human operator copied the exchange and logged
each contact claimed.  Unlimited then would be "anything goes", except that
only one human operator was involved in any way.  Packet would then migrate
to multi-op, I guess... or not.

73, Pete N4ZR
"If You Outlaw Skimmers, Only Outlaws Will Have Skimmers"