[CQ-Contest] WPX and 30 Hour Nonsense

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX and 30 Hour Nonsense
From: "kl7ra" <kl7ra@ptialaska.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 15:43:06 -0400
>Yes, every decade this topic comes up again.  And again.
>And again, like that greasy Cheeseburger that just won't
>digest properly, and keeps causing Reflector heartburn.

Yo Bob

>From Dayton hall chatter I have heard you "owned" the WPX
contest in past years. So from a selfish reason I can understand
your comments. Why change a winning (for you) format.

Since I'm on the opposite side of our great country from you, I take
the opposite view. The reduced hours allowed me a better score.
In fact I have made the top ten box in WPX CW which is way cool
for Alaska. After the rule change by N8BJQ to allow you to work
even more Europe I voted with my contest calendar and stopped
operating the WPX CW.

There are a lot of contests to chose from in a calendar year. I pick
some because I can operate the full 48, and do, (WW). Some
because I can submit a good score, (ARRL DX)  and some
because I like the format, (ARRL 10, IARU).

My opinion is a rule change should be for the good of everyone. A
rule change that benefits "most" is probably okay but a rule change
that allows a bigger advantage for some while forcing a bigger
disadvantage on others is not a good rule change.

Had WPX started out as 48 hours then we wouldn't have this
discussion. It was a FB contest for us, in a selfish way, and much
different then the WW because I didn't have to work Europe on 80
and had 18 hours of off time. I have a lot of off time regardless by
poor propagation.

So, how about this: Since both of us take an equal but opposite
selfish side to this contest and its format I vote we withdraw our
selfish opinion and watch the discussion between more balanced
contesters.

73,  Rich KL7RA
p.s. I like greasy cheeseburgers!