Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX and 30 Hour Nonsense

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>, "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX and 30 Hour Nonsense
From: "Milt, N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 09:14:30 -0700
From: "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:04 AM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX and 30 Hour Nonsense

>         Under the new rules EU/JA has not one but **two full
> openings**.  Does that sound like "no other areas affected
> positively or adversely"?  Under the new rules everyone has an even
> shot at ~30 hours of darkness operating time, regardless of where
> they live on the planet.  I don't feel sorry for the West Coast but
> I do for the Southern Hemisphere which must do the CQ 160 during
> their summer with less darkness and more QRN than those of us
> living in the Northern Hemisphere.
>
>                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV

Good Morning Bill,

I have NO problem with the ~30 hours of darkness for any and all stations.
I was NOT referring to change to the 48 hours format.  My problem is that
the CONTEST PERIOD TIMES WERE CHANGED to the benefit of the North American
east coast so that those geographically situated stations have THEIR ~30
HOURS SPREAD INTO A THIRD NIGHT OF OPERATION!!!!!!

THAT is the stickler in my craw, Bill.  You know as well as I do HOW GREATLY
conditions change from night to night..

The proper change was done to the 48 hour format.  No problem.  ALL areas of
the world now have the same opportunity of darkness hours with the only
relevancy being their latitude.  That is GOOD!!!

But to also change the timing of that 48 hour period such that portions of
THREE totally different night periods fall WITHIN ONLY PORTIONS OF THE SAME
CONTINENT (also same CQ Zone) was NOT necessary to accomplish the total
darkness leveling move.

THAT CHANGE was NOT NECESSARY!!!!!!!  The orgininal start time with sunset
right at the NA east coast was good.  Actually it would be better if the
starting time was placed at 2100Z.

RE the Southern Hemisphere.  I also sympathize with the "static fighters".
Been there and done that, as recently as 4 weeks ago.  I also experienced it
while operating in the CQ 160 CW from XZ0A in 2000.  That was north of the
Equator by a tad, but still right in the equatorial static belt.

The only compensation for stations located there (down south and under) is
that they are competing with themselves, BUT on equal footing.

You don't have to agree with me Bill, and I certainly don't want you feeling
sorry for the Left Coast.  BUT, if properly analyzed, I believe you will
readily see the gross inequity to western and southwestern Zone 4 stations
in particular (we compete directly with stations as far northeast as Ohio
and Ontario) It is more than 2,000 miles from my QTH to the northeast
portion of Ontario.  With the latitude difference, that is a total of two
hours difference in sunset times.  That is the two hours that was shifted in
their ~30 hors of darkness operating time.  Those stations are afforded a
THIRD shot at EU in a prime time (evening grayline) to the detriment of the
other areas in the SAME CQ ZONE!!!

I know how important and advantageous that is.  I operated as K1Z at K1TTT
in the CQ 160 SSB last year.  Those couple of hours yielded a half dozen
more multipliers and another 60-70 contacts.  I am sure your own operation
at VY1ZM this past January yielded the same results.

I rest my case and stand by my deductions based on my own personal
experience.  The starting time of the CQ 160 contest should be moved back to
2100Z and retain the 48 hour operating period.

Have a great Easter Sunday.  de Milt, N5IA