Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Cheating

To: ku8e@bellsouth.net, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest Cheating
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:12:46 EDT
In my mind it is cheating only if a competitive  advantage is gained, and I
don't buy the idea that one was gained by not saying  "fie-nie" before every
qso number.

If 4O3A (or anybody else) says  "kilo eight mike radio one three seven zero",
K8MR might not be expecting the  qso number so quickly, and have to ask for a
repeat.

If he says "kilo  eight mike radio number one three seven zero" he hasn't
gained any time saying  "number" instead of "fie-nie".

The estimate of a second saved on each qso  turning into 3000 seconds (50
minutes) of useful operating time is bogus. Most  of those qsos are not in
maximum possible rate situations, and the potentially  saved second is just
going to
turn into another second between qsos.

Meanwhile, coming up in just under three weeks is the Michigan  QSO Party,
where the sponsor (the Mad River Radio Club) has picked the wise  course of not
requiring a meaningless signal report to be exchanged or  logged.  Just a qso
number and QTH.  Real contest information for real  men!

Saturday April 19, 1600z to 0400z April 20.  Full scoop  at
http://www.miqp.org

I'll be out mobile, hope to see lots  of you then.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

Home.