Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] mystery tool and damaged 40m antennas

To: "'K1TTT'" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>, "'reflector -tower'" <towertalk@contesting.com>, "'reflector cq-contest'" <CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM>, "'YCCC'" <yccc@yccc.org>, "'Rlx'" <RLX@yahoogroups.com>, "'Nobarc'" <nobarc@nobarc.org>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] mystery tool and damaged 40m antennas
From: "Tod -ID" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 08:43:25 -0600
The mystery tool is one that was designed to open cans, such as paint cans,
with the non-looped end. The other end would open bottles that had "bottle
caps" used to seal them. [An archaic form of storing soda --- Coke, 7-Up,
root beer, etc.]

In the 1930's [and perhaps later] one could buy empty narrow top bottles and
partially crimped metal caps with a cork liner. There were hand machines
that would finish the crimping of the cap onto the top of the bottle. Such a
device was used extensively when folks made root beer or ginger beer or
'brewed' alcoholic beer at home and wanted to store some of it for future
consumption.

The hooked end could lift the lids from metal containers that held peanut
butter, cocoa, etc.

For those who have an interest in specialized tools from time gone by I
could post a picture of a "button hook" used by my grandmother prior to 1910
to 'button up' her shoes before going off to church. Those new-fangled
things called 'shoe laces' did not look nearly as nice for dress shoes.

Tod Olson, K0TO