Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

To: <rt_clay@bellsouth.net>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer
From: <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 13:07:47 -0500
Hey Tor,

All excellent points, indeed.

None changes my mind that Skimmer should be assisted, however. I see no reason
why calling Skimmer
'assistance' in any way negates the advantages you so correctly point out.

I don't argue against Skimmer, merely for the correct classification of it.

73, kelly
ve4xt

> From: rt_clay@bellsouth.net
> Date: 2008/04/23 Wed AM 08:54:27 CDT
> To: cq-contest@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer
>

> > My simple test.  If you get CALLS and FREQUENCIES from something other than
> > your own ears and your own turning of the knob on the radio, then it is
> > assisted.
> >
> > Note, this opinion still allows things like waterfall displays or band
> > scopes that let you "see" signals on the band, but does not identify them.
> >

> Then what  would you say to this:
>
> I use a waterfall display like a Skimmer, but with no code-reading
> capabilities. It just takes a
> "snapshot" of the band in time and frequency, showing dots and dashes. My
> logging program marks
the signals I have already identified (different color, etc). I visually read
the code from the
screen, or by clicking on a signal I get its audio.  It's then easy to see when
a new station appears on
the band and pick out their call.

> Sounds like it is too much trouble to help? I bet anyone who used written
> dupe sheets could learn to
do it. I also bet it would help during a really slow time during SS...and no
computer reading of CW!

> Skimmer is applying software to a wideband receiver. Nothing
more. In the next generation of HF transceivers, wideband receive IS going to be a standard feature.

>  It opens up a lot of new possibilities rather than the old "knob-driven
> radio" motif. I think it is
ridiculous that the contest sponsor has a right to tell me what kind of receiver I can use! I should be
>  able to use the best I can find with my local antennas.
>
> Another misconception: a local skimmer is not packet. With packet you are
> getting the benefit of
OTHER people's knowledge. For example, they might know what dxpeditions are on
and where they are
likely to operate. A local skimmer  does not simply reproduce the spots you get
from packet. It is very
dependent on local noise, antennas, etc. If you don't believe be, try running
it for yourself.

> Finally, I think Skimmer will increase interest in cw contesting for new ops.
> Try counting the number
of check > 1985 ops in the top 100 in CW SS sometime...