Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL rule...the introduction (aka CONTEXT)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL rule...the introduction (aka CONTEXT)
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 03:02:47 +0000
It has been over a month since I asked NN1N (who I
believe is in the equivalent position as N7NG was before),
if the DXCC accreditation rules only applied to DXpeditions.
W5OV was adamant that this is the case (though not if he
were to go to V2, I believe he said - would that not be a
DXpedition, someone travelling to some other entity to
operate?).

If DXCC is the dog's bollocks of operating awards, then it
really should not matter if the station credit a contact is
claimed for was operated by a resident or a visitor to the
place, or so I would have thought - that the station was
where it was claimed to be & was legit & a contact was
actually made with that station seem important to integrity
of the award regardless of who is operating on the DX side.

I have yet to receive an answer from Dave.

KR2Q had suggested the whole published logs debate
was a bit of a urinating match (between W4TV & W5OV,
I guess), but it dried up after my post below about the
context thing that KR2Q I guess was saying supported
W5OV's position (a coincidence, no doubt).

The thing about published logs is that some of us -
those on the DX side (in particular, full-time resident not-
exactly-garden variety DX) work lots of people in contests
who don't give a rat's arse about the contest... they want
to work us for some award, predominately DXCC.
Published logs, with the potential of rendering all those
contacts useless for DXCC, removes the _only_ reason
these casuals call us DX.

It is very sad that the problem with contest cheating
has forced the CQ WW DX Contest Committee into
doing something that is so detrimental to some
participants & not others - about as well thought out
as KR2Q's "context" argument.

73, VR2/KBrett7Graham/p.