Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer = keyer. Of for goodness sakes!

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer = keyer. Of for goodness sakes!
From: "Leigh S. Jones, KR6X" <kr6x@kr6x.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:08:20 -0700
written by kr2q:

> So what is left?  Not much...tuning the band, copying callsigns, correctly
> entering those
> calls into your logging software.  Just three things.

Well, clearly RTTY contests don't require copying callsigns, and don't
necessarily require
that you correctly enter callsigns and exchanges into your logging software.
That could all
be handled by the computer, as could tuning in new signals, etc.  There's no
such thing as
decoding phone from dots and dashes into letters; these sorts of things have
been widely
accepted as part of the contesting scene for decades.  CW decoders are not
new, and I
don't believe anyone has ever been faulted by a contest sponsor for using
one.

> So now you want to say that it is okay to NOT copy the callsign yourself
> and to NOT find the
> DX yourself.

You're grasping at straws here.  There's no such a distinction.

> And, of course, point-shoot results in the callsign going into the log
> too.

Get used to it.

> So what would then constitute "contest skill?"  Skill in buying stuff?
> Skill in hooking it all up?

This has been a critical part of the mix since the beginning of contesting.

> With respect to Skimmer being = use of Keyer, etc.

To deny this is only an exercise in word games.

It will take a while for contesting circles to come to a consensus as to
what we'd all like to
see in the rules going forward.  It seems clear from the rhetoric that a
desire exists among
some of our brethren to return to a simpler time, while for others the
progress into cool
new technology is attractive.  Surely it is a mistake to equate the use of
any new technology
that comes along as being the equivalent of multioperator operation.  The
"assisted"
categories are, after all, special cases for multioperator contesting that
have only one
operator physically present at the station.

My thought is:

1) rules changes and clarifications are needed if we are to simply allow the
use of "online"
skimmers as the equivalent of packet for the assisted classes; these kinds
of tools are
receivers that are not contained within the station perimeter under the
intent of present
rules -- they could be interpreted as remotely located receiving stations
"on the other
coast"
2) present rules would clearly allow the use of a "skimmer" or similar by
single operators
as long as the receiver and computer is located within the station perimeter
as defined by
the rules -- this despite the well-intended pronouncements of guys like KR2Q
3) if we want to create entry categories for operators not using second
receivers, not
using computerized decoding of CW transmissions, or whatever, then we're
going to
have to look to rules changes to accomplish this
4) this cq-contest mailing list would be a great place to accomplish "good"
in this regard,
but this will probably only happen if we respect each other and cease with
the illogical
pronouncements based on our own personal wishes