Re: [CQ-Contest] 40 Meters Antennes - Yaguis - Verticals - rigiddipole..

To: <ea8auw@cidxs.com>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 40 Meters Antennes - Yaguis - Verticals - rigiddipole...solutions pse.]
From: "D LINDSAY ESVLC EXP LINER MGR" <DLindsay.vlc@mscspain.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:34:42 +0200
Hi Edu

As I said to you personally yesterday in a quick reply, both Salva EA5DY and
myself have done a bit of work in this field. As I think you know, I do a LOT
of mobile operating on the seaside and have done numerous contests as well. I
learned a long time ago that verticals and salt water are a good match, but I
guess it's something you have to experience for yourself before you can see
just to what extent.

Just for you to get a quick idea, I made first place in Spain in CQWW SOSB10 HP
in 2003. Admittedly conditions were good so getting 35 zones and 120 odd
countries wasn't entirely unexpected. But, if you take into consideration that
I was using a TS140, a 1.5m long helical whip, and 400w (in fact half of  the
contest I just used 100 since I ran out of battery power), and that I was
competing with fixed stations with big yagis and full power amps, then it puts
it in a slightly different perspective.

A big yagi will do well next to the seaside too, and in some cases better than
vertical arrays, but as Stan has alluded, this will depend on the height you
can get your yagi up. In a temporary situation such as you are planning on, on
40m, it's almost certain that your best bet will be some kind of vertical.

Last year, I was contacted by EC5EC and EA5KB to see if I was interested in
operating in the IOTA contest from Tabarca island. The dates were bad, but
nevertheless I jumped in to help them with the antennas. This brought about a
long series of discussion, in which we also had some input from Kenny K2KW.

To cut a long story short we came up with a KISS design for a 2 element phased
array based on coax phasing lines which I think will be perfect for what you
want. On 40m, we made it out of two 12m long collapsable spiderpoles
(www.spiderbeam.net). When the beam is set up pointing north, it has two lobes,
one at approx 315º and the other at 45º. For us that is USA and EU/JA, the main
QSO areas, and I suppose that although you're a fair way south-west of me, it
should be more or less the same. That way, with one FIXED antenna you get to
cover the vast majority of your QSOs. Suggest you also take along a wire dipole
though.

To make it work, the element spacing is (from memory) 19.5m and the 3/4 phasing
line is 21m (for RG213). Both antennas are identical quarter wave verticals
using two elevated radials, which is probably the simplest for a temporary
setup.

I also built an 80m version for last years CQWW but unfortunately it didn't
work out (see my article on http://www.contesting.com/articles/905). I do plan
to have it active in this year's CQWW though :.)

If you want to see photos of the 20 and 40m arrays on Tabarca, go to
http://cq.uv.es/ee5kb/IOTA2007_FOTOS/ . The 20m antennas are aluminium, made by
Salva, the 40m antennas are spiderpoles, made by me.

In case you are still wondering as to whether they work, I met Pepe EA5KB last
week at the Torrent swapmeet. Pepe was so enthusiastic, and reminded me that
even though the generator had failed, they were still able to RUN JA with 100w
on 40m phone. No mean feat....

If you want any further details then just let me know.

73
Duncan EA5ON