Re: [CQ-Contest] SKIMMER = BUMMER

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SKIMMER = BUMMER
From: "Edward" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:04:27 -0400
My experience in discussions with young people has been the opposite of
the "CW decoding will keep CW alive longer" position.

CW is about the worst data mode imaginable.  PSK31 is waaaaaay better as
a digital mode in weak signal capability.  I believe that anyone who
starts into CW in the "decoding" mode will quickly gravitate to PSK31
and leave CW.

The thing that will enhance the life of CW is to encourage the learning
of the art the makes CW unique.  And young people are fascinated by it.
They are, from my experience, completely unimpressed with slow data
modes in general that start looking like really slow internet chat.

Hearing a weak signal in some audio fashion come to life while you turn
the big beam, anyone can get.  "Capturing the data stream" just doesn't
do it for most people.  Sorry.

Ed  N1UR