Re: [CQ-Contest] Repeating an idea from the 7QP soapbox...

To: k-zero-hb@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Repeating an idea from the 7QP soapbox...
From: Mike Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 15:07:54 -0400
On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 02:18 +0000, K0HB wrote:
> Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best, and I think this simple idea is
> wins on several levels.

Respectfully disagree that this is simple.

This is an exceptionally intricate and complex thing to implement.

I have had programmers withdraw support because I made changes to the
PAQSO party, so in the interest of having only one sort of logging for
all these state QSO parties, so that programmers don't have to make
changes, we are all supposed to change our parties so that they are all
the same? ?Isn't that one of those changes that inconveniences
programmers?

Okay, let's assume that we decide to inconvenience them for a one time
lining up of all the ducks. now the fun begins....

So whose rules do we use? PAQSO is always experimenting. We've had
single station special event, multi station special events, we have a
different county line setup, different point structure, and other class
differences. We use serial numbers, not the dreaded and useless 599.

Who gives up what? Who changes what?

> It almost certainly increases participation from "casual passers-by" since
> the exchange is consistent from weekend to weekend.

I'm not sure how. We have plenty of casuals - probably around 50
percent, who don't submit logs. They're in most of the submitted logs.
some of them even qualified to win a county, but you can't do that
unless you submit a log.

> As Bob points out, it "untangles" the overlapping QP's simply.

I suppose that rationale could be used to standardize ALL contests
everywhere.

> It encourages multiple QPs on the same weekend, again likely increasing
> participation.

One of the biggest complaints I get is that there are already too many
things going on on any given weekend. I received an excoriating
nastygram when I added RTTY to the PAQSO from the sponsor of a German
RTTY contest that happens on the same weekend.

> And the advantages that Bob has already mentioned.

There might be an advantage or two, but marked disadvantages IMO. Like
locking everyone into one system, and disallowing for future changes
unless every party makes a change.

When all of the State QSO Party managers get together at our two week
long retreat in Palm Springs, We'll discuss it over our mojitos........
hehe.

        - 73 de Mike N3LI -