Re: [CQ-Contest] What Skimmer is!

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] What Skimmer is!
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 11:00:32 -0400
At 09:58 AM 6/4/2008, Randy Thompson wrote:
>Does anyone else find it funny that the guy advocating for skimmer on the
>grounds of technology advancement is then arguing that contacts should
>require a human to be manually involved?
>
>If we can make rules requiring human involvement (I assume as a way of
>keeping it a human sport rather than a robot/technology exercise), then why
>can't we draw the same line around the skimmer?  I.e., we want to keep
>humans in the call finding business rather than having skimmer do it.

Or why not, for that sort, allow both types of operation to co-exist, and
let the operators decide which class they want to enter.  I think the whole
focus on "assistance" is misguided - but the fact is that in some contests,
Skimmer will be the sort of game-changer that packet was touted to be, a
decade ago.  As such, I do not believe it should be allowed in the base
single-op category, but it would be silly to try to ban it from single-op
entirely.

73, Pete N4ZR