Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 66, Issue 17

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ-Contest Digest, Vol 66, Issue 17
From: Art Searle W2NRA <w2nra@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 09:15:52 -0400
 Steve K0SR wrote:
> OK....I call CQ and I have a weak station answering me, who then gets
> clobbered by an impatient S&P guy who sends "?" on top of the caller? That
> drives me nuts. Hold off on the "?" and wait 3 seconds for the next CQ
> please.

"impatient S&P guy"?  And I suppose the S&P guy is supposed to PATIENTLY
wait until the Run guy CQs again.  Not!  It is obvious that if a Run guy
hears a ditty-dumb-dumb-ditty after a CQ, the S&P guy either just tuned
across his CQ or didn't get his call the first go round.  If the S&P guy
patiently waits, another station may call and where the Run guy will work
'em and just send QRZ.  So now the S&P guy is waiting even longer with no
contact.  Yes, the S&P guy could have sent "Call?" but it should be obvious
that if you hear a ? after a CQ just throw your call out once.  That will
surely speed things up for everyone.

I agree with Robert Chudek - K0RC who wrote, "If I am running and I get a
"?" after my CQ, I immediately press the F4 key (my call). That is, if no
one else is calling me. Why would you make the S&P
station wait around for your CQ timer to trip off another round in 10
seconds or so. You've got a "customer" waiting right now."

73 Art W2NRA
"Keep to the Code!"
w2nra.com