[CQ-Contest] Contest Participation (U vs A)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contest Participation (U vs A)
From: "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 16:25:51 -0400
        This is incomplete but probably statistically significant data.
Both sets of data are from the single-op all band Final Summaries on 3830
(excludes multiops, single band, etc).  Contest sponsors have the complete
data set and should be able to draw their own conclusions.  The question at
hand, "Which CW category, Unassisted or Assisted, is the most popular?"

2007 ARRL CW Sweepstakes entries:

          HP          LP          QRP        Total          %

U        119         164          36           359           75
A         99           18            0           117           25

2007 CW WW CW entries:

U        179        153           25           357            63
A        166          44            1           211            37

Combined:

U                                                    716           69
A                                                    328           31

        If I were a contest sponsor, I would think carefully about the
potential impact of Skimmer on participation before allowing it in
Unassisted categories.  The Unassisted entries above have already spoken
through their participation regarding their preference for "assistance".
Allowing Skimmer in Unassisted could have unintended consequences on
participation.

                                                73,  Bill  W4ZV