Re: [CQ-Contest] AADXCW Age Breakdown

To: Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] AADXCW Age Breakdown
From: Mike Coslo <mjc5@psu.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 21:27:30 -0500
John Warren wrote:
> On Jun 27, 2008, Dennis W1UE wrote:
>
>> It would appear that in 20 years, when the 23 hams in their 30's today
>> are in their 50's, there will be
>> considerably fewer stations to work.
>
> I think (and hope) that you're being a bit too pessimistic Dennis.
>
> My observation - certainly in our Contest/DX club CTDXCC - is that
> serious contesting has become a hobby for "upper-middle-aged" folks
> (40-60?) who for the first time have some serious available time and
> disposable income in their lives. Of course we want  young people too,
> but they tend to be short on those two items. And as for OFs like me -
> we're past the complexity and stress of modern contesting!
>
> So I think that looking at the number of young people in contesting is
> misleading.  In general, it's not a young person's game.  But as that
> generation matures, they'll get the time, money and renewed interest
> which will make them the heart of the contesting business 20 years
> from now.

I think I fit the new demographic of Hams. While many OT'ers were
licensed at an early age, a new group is appearing who did not. I
received my Tech license in 1999 at 45 years of age, my General in 2000,
and my Extra in 2001. There are a lot more like me, folks who waited
until the kids were grown, and now have more free time, so we are
pursuing hobbies that we didn't have time for before. So the future
outlook is not so dire.

My only wish is that I did get the license earlier. I'm having a blast.

        - 73 de Mike N3LI -