Re: [CQ-Contest] Using GPSs and Google to place antennas

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Using GPSs and Google to place antennas
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 10:30:13 +0000
Yes, and it would work if gps were accurate enough over short distances.
However, even for laying out an 80m 4-square its no where near accurate
enough.  Its much easier to use a tape measure and compass.  But you can do
it if you want, just a little algebra reverses the formulas for bearing and
range to give you the lat/lon.  For very short distances they can probably
be simplified even more using a couple small angle approximations... but any
gps worth it's salt will let you mark a waypoint and then display distance
and bearing to it as you walk around.  So just mark the center point then
use that feature to find the corners.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net