Re: [CQ-Contest] 2008 ARRL DX Phone Results and opting out

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 2008 ARRL DX Phone Results and opting out
From: Kevin Rowett <kevin@rowett.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 20:57:06 -0700
Richard DiDonna NN3W wrote:
> I'm starting to wonder if perhaps the ARRL should begin publishing the
> abbreviated writeups in QST and the full writeups AND SCORES in NCJ.  In
> addition, perhaps the ARRL should consider allow the membership to OPT for
> either QST or NCJ.  Given that ARRL is quite general interest, many
> contesters might be content with foregoing QST and accepting NCJ as the
> subscription component of their annual League dues.
>
> Obviously, there is a revenue reduction to the League for those who are
> League members and pay the additional $15.00 for NCJ, but if NCJ was an
> option in lieu of QST, there is a savings in printing costs as I am sure QST
> costs a lot more to print than NCJ...
>
> Thoughts?

Advertiser's rates are usually related to the size of the subscriber
pool, and what percentage a publication has.  Not much discount is
taken for "captive publications".

What's lost in subscribers from QST to NCJ, can't be made up in a higher
rate for NCJ advertisers.

Ham radio equipment vendors know the bulk of their revenue dollars come
from contesters. If the subscription base shifts from one publication to
two, then overall revenue for advertising will probably go down.

NCJ would be faced with an initial hurdle of lots more editorial pages,
but, the same number of advertising "column-inches".  That's not a move
a publisher would sign up to.

The world has changed.  We're not going to be able to see all of our
callsigns in print.  QST is doing the best it can in this transition
era.  Be thankful there are gifted writers, such as N0AX who are
willing to provide the summary of the contest!

73, K6TD, -KR-