[CQ-Contest] 99% of uniques are busted

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] 99% of uniques are busted
From: saul_abrams@dps.state.ny.us
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 17:00:34 -0400
Someone mistakenly interpreted my earlier comment about uniques and high
power versus QRP as a knock on the abilities of QRP ops.  That was
certainly not my intention.  This is what I sent him:
NO!!!! You miss my point entirely.  I have the utmost respect for QRP ops
and their abilities.  If you qrp you better be good or it's a very slow,
boring contest.  A qrp op usually S&P's, answering CQs, so the guys
calling CQ won't be a unique.  High power guys call CQ often and could be
called by any one, including the guy running 5 watts to a bedspring who
works 15 minutes for a contact and then quits--unique.  I did not mean to
cast aspersions on qrp--but only to point out that the operating styles
lead to different levels of uniques.  Similarly, I would expect that an
S&Per (QRP??) would have a better busted record because he knows who he is
calling (packet errors aside) while a CQ'er could have alot more busted
trying to pull out the calls in the noise and qrm. Just different
operating styles and accuracy results.  Sorry for the misunderstanding!!
73  Saul  K2XA