Re: [CQ-Contest] Lightning strikes N5OT

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Lightning strikes N5OT
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 14:47:29 -0500
> I suppose the concern about "category shopping" is legitimate.

Yeah.  I'm thinking it didn't happen too much before 3830 came along - the
downside of success I guess.

K6LA:
> However, whether you wait one hour or 30 days to post to 3830,
> you can still massage your log before submitting it.

True, I didn't say you couldn't.  However, I believe that the sooner you
post, the more likely these two things become:

1. log massaging (or possibly sandbagging) becomes obvious
2. people will be discouraged from log massaging

> I think 3830 is great.

I agree.  I think the 3830 team does a fabulous job with what they're doing.
I think tho that they're filling a void created by sponsors who won't do
what they should - shoreten the deadlines and post "official" claimed scores
the moment the deadline passes, then get the final results wrapped while the
players can still remember the contest.

I know quick log turnaround is not popular with a vocal minority of people.
But truly, it would be good for the game.  By quick I mean something like
logs due in a week and results out in a month.  This is already known to be
practical, and demonstrated twice a year by the North American Sprint.

Note I am not talking about real-time scoreboards.  That is a different
conversation.

> if the final scores show someone ahead of me that
> didn't post, I might think "darn, that sneaky weasel
> beat me," but I won't think he cheated to do so.

I don't think I ever got close to the word "cheated," Ken, please don't dig
my hole any deeper.

Mark, N5OT