[CQ-Contest] November Sweepstakes

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] November Sweepstakes
From: "Kutzko, Sean, KX9X" <kx9x@arrl.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 11:40:05 -0400
Hi, folks-

Lots of stuff is cooking in the realm of ARRL Sweepstakes.

First off, the 2007 Sweepstakes plaques are being shipped. We received
about 2/3 of the order last week, and those plaques were shipped out and
are starting to show up in people's mailboxes. We still have about 1/3
of the plaques to send out, and will do so once we receive them from our
supplier. A big thanks to Icom America for being the principal sponsor
of the ARRL November Sweepstakes and helping defray the costs of the
unsponsored plaques and the certificates. They've been on board since
2005 and their efforts make a big difference.

Second, I need to issue a correction. The special mugs for this year are
actually not lead crystal, but are a mighty fine etched glass mug...
chalk it up to the fact that I'm just a single guy who hasn't yet
developed a knack for identifying the finer dining accoutrements of
life. The etched glass Clean Sweep mugs will still be a
once-in-a-lifetime trophy for your shelf, and will be $16.

The Sweepstakes pins will be available again this year (as always) for
submitting a log with 100 QSOs in either the CW or Phone Sweepstakes.
Magnets will be given away for free to any station that submits a log
with 75 sections worked in either the Phone or CW Sweepstakes. Lastly,
"Clean Sweep" whisk brooms will be given away for free to any station
that submits a log and works all 80 sections this year. All 80 sections
must be worked in the same event; you cannot combine your sections
totals from CW and Phone to qualify for any awards.

Finally, I want to encourage all operators in rare sections to get on
the air this year as much as you can. Nebraska (NE), North Dakota (ND),
Northern New York (NNY), South Dakota (SD) and Wyoming (WY) are the
traditional "tough ones" in the US. In Canada, Alberta (AB), the
Maritimes (MAR), Manitoba (MB), Newfoundland/Labrador (NL), Northern
Territories (NT), Quebec (QC), and Saskatchewan (SK) find their way into
logs all too infrequently. If you live in one of these sections, you
would be very popular if you were to get on the air for this year's
Sweepstakes in either mode. If you're sick of hanging around and you
want to travel, consider an expedition to one of these sections. Post
your intentions to the CQ-Contest reflector and help spread the word
that these sections need activation!

Let's make the 75th ARRL November Sweepstakes one to remember for a long
time to come. Get on the air and have some fun!

73,

Sean Kutzko, KX9X
Contest Branch Manager

ARRL - The national association for Amateur Radio
225 Main Street
Newington CT 06111-1494
Telephone: 860-594-0232
Fax: 860-594-0259