[CQ-Contest] Conditions during CQWW Phone 2008. was European sigs to W9

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Conditions during CQWW Phone 2008. was European sigs to W9
From: Ffive VHN <f5vhn@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 01:54:50 -0700 (PDT)
'allo, from the otherside of the pond.

I did a mono-band entry on 15m and I thought conditions were great !!!

76% of all my contacts were 3 pointers. In the morning the band was wideopen
from JA down through asia , picking up some oceanie VK ZL (thats the other side
of the world to us) Guam , down through the middle east to africa.  All this at
the bottom of a very low sunspot cycle.

I was using just 500w to a 2el yagi at 120ft. In the evening the band stayed
open late to south america. And there were a lot of loud signals.
 Missing from here was Zone 3 never heard a single W6/7 or zone 2 VO2 (too far
north ??). And 1 or 2 others that I just missed.

I found that the pile-ups were not very deep, I imagine that there were not
many people active.
It was nice to work quite a few '100Ws to a bit of wire' stations. I note down
during the contest, the LOUD signals and the small ones and check after the
contest (QRZ.com).

I noticed that the propagation was not symetrical, ie I could work JA but not
W6, which is roughly the same distance and distance from the north pole.

73

Rob F5VHN (op-F6KCP)

PS
If you worked me (F6KCP) and you remember the contact, could you drop me a mail
direct with a report of my signal and audio. I was trying something new this
year..... f6kcp(at)yahoo.fr (at)=@

Message: 1