[CQ-Contest] Icom 756 Pro series as mobile rigs

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Icom 756 Pro series as mobile rigs
From: n3aws@aol.com
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 22:01:04 -0500
As I approach retirement, I'm thinking about upgrading my mobile setup with the
intention of improving performance primarily in state QSO parties.? I currently
operate mobile with an Icom 706 MkIIG in a 23 foot motorhome using the marine
deep cycle battery for power and a Hustler antenna.? I only operate while
parked or when someone else is driving.? While the 706 is a reasonable mobile
rig, I wonder if the improved receiver in my 756 Pro II would work well in the
mobile environment.? I've only had the Pro II a short time and have only used
it once in a contest (June 08 ARRL VHF).? I operate QRP 95% of the time and
always in contests.? Also, I currently operate 95% SSB although when I retire
I'll probably operate CW & digital modes more often.

So my questions are: how well does the 756 Pro series handle the noise of a
mobile environment?? Would I experience enough of a RCVR improvement to make it
worth the effort to upgrade the 706 to the Pro II?? Would the improved
ergonomics of the larger 756 be reason enough to upgrade?? Any other input from
anyone who has used a Pro series XCVR mobile would be appreciated!

Thanks and 73,

Jim N3AWS