[CQ-Contest] Reverse Beacon Network Update

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com,dxatlas_group@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Reverse Beacon Network Update
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 16:49:04 -0500
It's been a while since I reported on the status of the Reverse Beacon
Network (http://skimmer.dxwatch.com), run by Felipe, PY1NB.  Happily,
there's good news to report.

First of all, the number of Reverse Beacons using CW Skimmer to report CW
DX heard at their QTHs has increased dramatically.  As I write this, we
have 17 reverse beacon stations reporting on bands 160-15 and 6 meters,
from the US Pacific Northwest (W7TMT), across the US Middle West and East
(too many to list), and from Europe (OY3JE, SV8RV and others). From
September 1 to today, 42 percent of visitors to the site have been new
ones, and the overall visitor trend is up nicely so far in November.

A major contribution to the increased activity, we think, is the release of
version 1.3 of CW Skimmer, free to all registered users (and available for
a free trial) at www.dxatlas.com .  The new Skimmer includes reporting of
signal strengths of spotted stations, which are displayed on the web
site.  That means, for example, that you can send a CQ from your station in
the United States and, once you've been spotted, compare your signal at
that reverse beacon with those of other stations from your part of the world.

If you'd like to find out more, log on to http://skimmer.dxwatch.com, and
read the brief introductory articles there to find out how easy it is to
use or participate in the Reverse Beacon Network.

73, Pete N4ZR
the World Contest Station Database is back...
www.conteststations.com