[CQ-Contest] CQ News: Ed Muns, W0YK, Named CQ RTTY Contest Director

To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ News: Ed Muns, W0YK, Named CQ RTTY Contest Director
From: "Jim Reisert AD1C" <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:07:43 -0700
From: Richard Moseson <w2vu@cq-amateur-radio.com>
Date: 2008/11/24
To: CQ Newsletter List <cq-l@mailman.sunserver.com>

>From the CQ Newsroom...

Ed Muns, W0YK, Named CQ RTTY Contest Director

(Hicksville, NY November 24, 2008) -- Ed Muns, W0YK, of Los Gatos,
California, has been named Director of CQ magazine's radioteletype
(RTTY) contests, CQ Editor Rich Moseson, W2VU, announced today. CQ
sponsors the world's two most popular annual RTTY competitions, the CQ
World Wide RTTY WPX Contest each February and the CQ World Wide RTTY
DX Contest every September.

Muns succeeds Glenn Vinson, W6OTC, who has been CQ's RTTY Contest
Director since 2000, and who guided the events to their current levels
of popularity. The number of logs submitted for the RTTY DX contest
has tripled in the past eight years, despite declining sunspots
throughout the period. "I am glad to have had this opportunity to help
promote RTTY contesting," says Vinson, adding that Muns has already
been working closely with other members of the CQ RTTY Contest
Committee, software authors and other CQ contest directors to assure a
smooth transition. "I feel very confident that these contests will
continue to gain strength year over year."

Ed Muns was first licensed in 1962, and has been contesting since the
1970s. He has been active in RTTY contesting since 2004 and very
quickly set two world records in operations from Aruba. He has also
been the NA RTTY Sprint contest manager since 2005. Professionally, Ed
is retired from a career as an engineering executive for
Hewlett-Packard, and currently owns and operates a Pinot Noir vineyard
in California that he started ten years ago.

Both Glenn and Ed point out that Glenn's original plan had been to
transfer responsibility for the CQ RTTY contests to his co-director
for the past several years, Paolo Cortese, I2UIY. However, Paolo
unexpectedly became a Silent Key in October, 2008. Ed stepped in to
fill the void that was created by Paolo's passing.

"We thank Glenn for his many years of service to our RTTY contests,
and his great success in building up their popularity," noted CQ
Editor Moseson, "and we welcome Ed to the CQ 'family' with thanks for
his willingness to step up to the plate on short notice and take on
this responsibility."

-30-