[CQ-Contest] Station Identification Requirements

To: CQ-Contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Station Identification Requirements
From: W6SX Hank Garretson <w6sx@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 12:53:02 -0800
FCC Section 97.119 Station Identification

(a) Each amateur station, except a space station or telecommand
station, must transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting
channel at the end of each communication, and at least every 10
minutes during a communication, for the purpose of clearly making the
source of the transmissions from the station known to those receiving
the transmissions. ...

end quote

At least for FCC licensed stations, I read this to say that we must
identify at the end of each contact.  If you are running, an R, TU,
or QRZ doesn't hack it.  TU W1AW meets the letter and spirit of the
regulation.

Most contest rules require entrants to observe the regulations of
their national licensing authority.  For FCC licensed stations, if
you don't send your call each contact, it appears to me that you are
violating both FCC and contest rules and subject to disqualification.

I suspect other countries have wording similar to the FCC regulation.

Regardless of what the rules might or might not say, my plea is,
"Come on guys, please give the rest of us and yourselves a break and
send you call more often!"

73,

Hank, W6SX

Mammoth Lakes, California

Elevation 8083 feet in John Muir's Range of Light